This is a delicate moment. When a customer or his representative approaches you, he already has something. This can be a raw idea, a business plan or an existing product with quite some history. Most probably he loves what he/she already has.
Your is goal to find out:
- What you customer already has?
- What is a problem to be solved?
- Who (will) use the product?
- What is a current status?
- What is in the current implementation your customer is satisfied with?
- What is in the current implementation the customer wants you to improve?
You can read more on a topic of stakeholders interview in a dedicated article on boxes and arrows.